Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada is creating two new Canadian permanent residence programs — the Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker Pilots— which will provide facilitated access to permanent residence for foreign caregivers and eligible family members.

Along with the new pilots, which are set to launch later in 2019, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) announced a three-month Interim Pathway for Caregivers that will be open to applications between March 4 and June 4, 2019.

Announced on February 23, these new five-year pilots are designed to provide caregivers with greater flexibility to change jobs quickly and creates the possibility for accompanying family members to receive open work permits or study permits for Canada.

The eligibility criteria and application process for the new pilots will be announced “well before” the expiration of Canada’s two current caregiver pilots on November 29, 2019, IRCC says.

Interim Pathway for Caregivers Eligibility

The Interim Pathway for Caregivers will open temporarily for caregivers who have accumulated work experience in Canada since November 30, 2014, as a home childcare provider, home support worker or a combination of both while on a temporary work permit.

IRCC says there is no cap on the number of applications that it will accept through the Interim Pathway for Caregivers.

This temporary pathway will be open to those who intend to reside outside of Quebec and who:

Are authorized to work in Canada on a work permit other than a Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP) work permit (at the time of applying);

Have acquired at least one year of full-time Canadian work experience in an eligible caregiver occupation, other than housekeeper, since November 30, 2014;

Eligible caregiver occupation includes: Home child care provider — National Occupational Classification (NOC) Group 4411; and/or Home support worker — NOC Group 4412

Have a Canadian high school diploma, or equivalent foreign credential proven with an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA);

Foreign credentials will require an ECA— issued within five years before the date of application by an approved organization — that indicates that the foreign diploma, certificate or credential is equivalent to a completed Canadian secondary school diploma.

Have a minimum proficiency in English or French equivalent to a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 for all four language abilities (reading, writing, speaking and listening).

IRCC says that candidates whose educational credential was obtained outside Canada and who cannot obtain an ECA before the Interim Pathway for Caregivers closes on June 4, 2019, are still eligible if they provide proof that they have applied to get an ECA. Proof includes written confirmation from agency that they have submitted a request for an ECA and/or receipt of payment.

Learn more about this update on